Tips For Kansans Traveling Oversees

Things You Should Know Heading Into Summer Travel Season

Salina, KS – As summer approaches, U.S. Senator Roger Marshall, M.D.’s office reminds Kansans traveling abroad to plan ahead and take the necessary steps to ensure their safety while abroad. 

“The safety and security of all Kansans are always our team’s top priority,” Senator Marshall said. As we look ahead to the summer travel season, I encourage all Kansans to take the necessary steps to enjoy a worry-free trip abroad. Please get in touch with our office to avoid the headache of passport problems and delays; we are here to help.” 

Delayed passports are the most common international travel issue. Since coming to Congress in 2017, Senator Marshall’s office has assisted more than 700 Kansans in obtaining their passports in time for their planned departure date. 

Our office encourages Kansans planning to travel internationally in the next 12 months to apply for a passport as soon as possible. Passport agencies struggle to keep up with summer travel demands, which results in longer processing times. Log onto the State Department’s website for the necessary forms and next steps:

The U.S. State Department also offers several resources to help all Americans remain in touch with U.S. officials while abroad and better understand local laws and customs for each country. Below are resources all Kansans are encouraged to use when traveling internationally:

• Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Enrollees will receive emergency alerts from the U.S. Embassy while traveling abroad. Enroll by visiting

• Be diligent when packing for international travel and review the local laws and special circumstances page to be aware of what you are and are not allowed to bring. You can be detained or arrested for having certain medications or ammunition once you enter another country if it violates their laws, even if by accident. To learn more, visit

• If you should have an emergency while traveling overseas, contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. You can find a U.S. Embassy or Consulate by visiting

• In the event of major weather events, like hurricane season, monitor forecasts closely and have a plan in place. To learn more, visit

If you or a loved one has issues obtaining a passport or problems while traveling abroad, please contact our office at 785-829-9000 or submit a request for assistance at  and select “Help with a Federal Agency” from the drop-down menu.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *