Unified School District 234
424 South Main
Fort Scott, KS 66701-2697
620-223-0800 Fax 620-223-2760
DESTRY BROWN Superintendent
BOARD OF EDUCATION REGULAR MEETING
Monday, November 14, 2022
Members of the USD 234 Board of Education met at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, November 14, 2022, for their regular monthly meeting at the board office.
President Danny Brown opened the meeting.
The board approved the official agenda, and the consent agenda as follows:
- Minutes from October 10, 2022, Board of Education meeting
- Financials – Cash Flow Report
- Check Register
- Payroll – October 20, 2022 – $1,572,916.54
- Activity Fund accounts
- Parent/Teacher Conference Statistics
- FSPC – 92%, Winfield Scott – 94%, Eugene Ware – 89%, FSMS – 56%, FSHS – 63%
Scott Kimble, Fort Scott High School Principal, introduced Anna Laubenstein, a senior at FSHS, who provided an update on the varsity Cinematography Challenge at the 4-State Academy of Scholastic Broadcasting Film Festival in Springfield, Missouri. Anna, along with FSHS students Lily Brown, Elena Robison, and Zaida Gomez, all competed in the festival with 30 other schools. In total, eleven students from FSHS were able to attend. The students shared information with the board on the competition and the Digital Media program at the high school that they are a part of.
Terry Sercer, CPA, with Diehl, Banwart, Bolton CPAs, P.A., presented the financial audit for 2021-22 year. There were no violations.
Superintendent Destry Brown noted that the final Visioning Session hosted by Bourbon County REDI will be Wednesday, November 16th at 5:30 p.m. at the Liberty Theater. Mr. Brown discussed the district’s preschool expansion project to take place at the old Mercy Hospital and how the current location on Judson will then be utilized for an elementary school specific for behaviors. Mr. Brown updated the board on the delivery and installation of the air purifiers purchased with KDHE grant funds. Superintendent Brown closed with discussing the “40 Developmental Assets” that help young people grow up healthy, caring, and responsible and how these are things our community can take part in to support our students.
Assistant Superintendent Dalaina Smith thanked the board and community for their support of PLC time. Mrs. Smith discussed conversations happening regarding attendance at PLC conferences or whether that training should be held in-house. Mrs. Smith provided an update on the cases purchased to protect student technology devices and the Science adoption that will come to the board for approval in March.
Gina Shelton, Finance Director, reported on the workers compensation renewal, federal funds, open enrollment for employee benefits, and staff retirements.
The board received an update on District Communications from Superintendent Brown.
The board approved the following items:
- ESSER III Budget – information, including the budget can be found on the USD 234 website.
- Contract with Benchmark Inc. for a full-time project management service for the roof replacement project in the amount of $178,000.
- Resolution to join Kansas Municipal Investment Pool and investment of funds into the KMIP for 180-days, with an interest rate of 3.96%.
- Acceptance of quote from City State Bank for a 90-day CD, with an interest rate of 3.13% with revaluation in 90 days.
- RPS Benefits by Design, Inc Consulting Agreement for health insurance broker services.
- Premium Rate Schedule for 2022-23.
- District Benefit Committee Recommendation with no increase to health insurance premiums, increase in Wellness Stipend to $350.00, and change in accident/cancer policy options.
- Personnel Report – following
The board went into an executive session for personnel matters and the superintendent evaluation process.
President Danny Brown adjourned the meeting.
PERSONNEL REPORT – APPROVED EMPLOYMENT
- Amy Lybarger – Early retirement as Eugene Ware third grade teacher, effective at the end of the 2022-23 school year
- Chris Sather – Early retirement as Winfield Scott physical education teacher, effective at the end of the 2022-23 school year
- Rachel Patton – Resignation as Eugene Ware paraprofessional, effective Oct. 19, 2022
- Kaylie Harper – Resignation as Winfield Scott paraprofessional, effective Oct. 26, 2022
- Elizabeth Rose – Resignation as FSHS paraprofessional, effective Nov. 11, 2022
- Amaiya Terry – Resignation as FSHS paraprofessional, effective Nov. 11, 2022
- Bethany Higgins – Eugene Ware teacher, leave of absence
- Andi Heckman – FSPC teacher, leave of absence
- Francis Torres – Winfield Scott paraprofessional, leave of absence
EMPLOYMENT/REASSIGNMENTS – FOR THE 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR
- Brad Wright – Central Office HVAC Maintenance
- Kathryn Harrington – FSMS paraprofessional
- Robert West – Eugene Ware/FSPC custodian
- Belinda Pitts – FSHS paraprofessional
- Billi Jo Shoemaker – Winfield Scott 7.5-hour paraprofessional
- Amanda Jamison – Winfield Scot 7.5-hour paraprofessional
- FSHS newspaper sponsor change from Brian Pommier to Bethany Anderson for the second semester
- Langdon Giddens – Tech Department paid intern
- Sara Schnichels – FSMS paraprofessional
- John Metcalf – FSHS assistant wrestling coach
- Colin Downey – FSHS assistant freshman boys basketball coach