CITY OF FORT SCOTT
SPECIAL CITY COMMISSION MEETING
Minutes are unapproved.
Minutes of June 1st, 2022 Special Meeting #10
A special meeting of the Fort Scott City Commission was held June 1st, 2022 at 5:30 p.m. in the City Commission Meeting Room, 123 S. Main Street, Fort Scott, Kansas.
Commissioners Tim Van Hoecke, Shane Walker, and Matthew Wells were present with President of the Commission Josh Jones presiding.
AUDIENCE IN ATTENDANCE: Travis Shelton, Brad Matkin, Chuck Begulia, Robert Uhler, Cheryl Adamson, Kathryn Harrington, Rob Harrington, John Coon, Jackson Tough, Lisa Lewis, Dean Striler (via Zoom), Kevin Allen, Bret Holder, Sara Holder, Bobbi Kemna, and representing the press, Tammy Helm, Fort Scott Tribune.
- Consideration of CMB Temporary License – Memorial Hall – June 4th, 2022 – Good Ol’ Days Blane Howard Concert – City Clerk said that this is this temporary license approves the permit for Brian Williams to sell 6.0 cereal malt beverages at Memorial Hall on Saturday, June 4th, 2022. This event has already been approved.
- Van Hoecke moved to approve the Temporary CMB license at Memorial Hall for Brian Williams on Saturday, June 4th, 2022. M. Wells seconded. All voted aye.
APPROVED THE TEMPORARY CMB LICENSE AT MEMORIAL HALL FOR BRIAN WILLIAMS FOR SATURDAY, JUNE 4TH, 2022.
- Consideration of Change in Alcohol and CMB ordinance – Mayor Jones said that this ordinance changes the sale and consumption of cereal malt beverages and alcoholic liquor in specific areas of the public parks or other places in the City during community wide celebrations or other public events. Such sale shall be by responsible persons working for charitable and nonprofit organizations with the proceeds going to said organizations for which a license will be issued by the City and shall be allowed for limited period of time.
Discussion was held regarding that an individual who will be starting up a pizza business wanted to give away free samples of alcohol.
Bret Holder said that he will be opening the Pizza Republic at 10 S. Main Street. They have moved here and expect to open in September this fall.
Discussion was held regarding samples and if they could be given out.
Mr. Holder said that he has been in contact with A.B.C. and our enforcement agent, Terry Holder and is working with them. There could be an issue with the time frame also for A.B.C.
City Clerk said that if the ordinance is approved, that it will not be in the legal ads of the official City newspaper until Saturday, so no samples could be given out on Friday, June 3rd.
- Walker moved to approve Ordinance No. 3611. J. Jones seconded. All voted aye.
APPROVED ORDINANCE NO. 3611 AMENDING SECTIONS 5.14.010, 5.14.020, 5.14.040, 5.14.050, 5.14.060, 5.14.070, 5.14.080, 5.14.090 (CEREAL MALT BEVERAGES – BEER GARDENS) OF CHAPTER 5.14 OF THE FORT SCOTT MUNICIPAL CODE.
- Consideration of City Commission Letters of Interest:
Mayor Jones announced that letters of interest were received from the following: Chuck Begulia, John Coon, Nicolas Philpott, Dean Striler, Robert Uhler, Cheryl Adamson, and Kathryn Harrington.
Brad Matkin, Human Resource Director, asked the candidates that were present prepared questions regarding the City Commission. Those that were present and replied included: Chuck Begulia, John Coon, Dean Striler, Robert Uhler, Cheryl Adamson, and Kathryn Harrington.
- Wells moved to appoint Kathryn Harrington to fill the unexpired term of Kevin Allen which will expire in December of 2023. S. Walker seconded. All voted aye.
APPROVED TO APPOINT KATHRYN HARRINGTON TO FILL THE UNEXPIRED TERM OF KEVIN ALLEN WHICH WILL EXPIRE IN DECEMBER OF 2023.
- Van Hoecke moved to adjourn the meeting at 6:28 p.m. J. Jones seconded. All voted aye.
ADJOURNED MEETING AT 6:28 P.M.
Diane K. Clay, MMC