Unified School District 234
424 South Main
Fort Scott, KS 66701-2697
620-223-0800 Fax 620-223-2760
BOARD OF EDUCATION REGULAR MEETING
Monday, September 11, 2023
Members of the USD 234 Board of Education met at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, September 11, 2023, for their regular monthly meeting at the board office.
President David Stewart opened the meeting.
The board approved the official agenda, and the consent agenda as follows:
- Board Minutes
- 08/14/2023 Regular Meeting
- 08/28/2023 Special Meeting – Revenue Neutral Hearing
- 08/28/2023 Special Meeting – Budget Hearing
- Financials-Cash Flow Report
- Check Register
- Payroll – August 20, 2023 – $1,437,854.99
- Activity Fund accounts
- USD 234 Gifts
- SITE Council Dates & Members
- MOU with SEK Mental Health for Mental Health Intervention Program
- Resolution 23-08: Banking Account Signers
- Investment of Funds Ratification
- Resolution 23-09: KMIP User Changes
- Appoint Destry Brown, KERMP designated representative
- Appoint Shawn O’Brien to KPERS Designated Agent
- Appoint Candace Jobe to Board Clerk
The Fort Scott High School Performing Arts Department was recognized as the Certified Tiger Team members of the month. The Department was selected as a finalist in KSHSAA Performing Arts School of Excellence Award. Justin Robinson, FSHS/FSMS Band Teacher, Carson Felt, FSHS/FSMS Orchestra Teacher, Angie Bin, FSHS Drama/Thespian Teacher, and Tyler Slinkard, FSHS Debate & Forensics Teacher attended, and the board recognized them. Each gave an update on their programs.
Jon Barnes, FSHS Social Studies Teacher, was recognized for being nominated for the Kansas Horizon Award by USD 234. Mr. Barnes is in his second year of teaching.
Jessica Phillips, Fort Scott Middle School Kitchen Manager, was recognized by Superintendent Brown as the Classified Tiger Team member of the month. Mrs. Phillips has worked for the district for over 10 years. She was recognized for a well-run kitchen and creating a fun atmosphere.
Assistant Superintendent Dalaina Smith updated the board on the food service program where students eat free this school year, After-School Child Care program, iReady professional development and the required annual staff training. Mrs. Smith discussed a more formalized process for 504 plans.
Tonya Barnes, Special Education Director, provided a written report to the board.
Gina Shelton, Finance Director, updated the board on the financial audit, Household Surveys which allow for waiver of fees, bond payments, and credit card rebate. Mrs. Shelton provided the current balance in ESSER funds.
David Stewart recognized Gina Shelton for her service to the district.
Superintendent Destry Brown discussed the options for fulfilling the open board vacancy. There was discussion among the board with no action, but consensus to wait to fill the opening until after the board elections in November.
The board approved the following items:
- Purchase from TBS Electronics in the amount of $63,055
- Patterson Family Grant in the amount of $50,000 to pay for tuition reimbursement for staff
- KDHE Test to Stay Grant in the amount of $205,588.05 to go toward nursing salaries and supplies
- Personnel Report following
The board went into an executive session for personnel matters.
President Stewart adjourned the meeting.
PERSONNEL REPORT – APPROVED EMPLOYMENT
September 11, 2023
- Hardwick, Lauren – Resignation – Fort Scott High School Paraprofessional
- Miles, Lacey – Resignation – Fort Scott High School Paraprofessional
- Shelton, Gina – Resignation – Finance Director/Board Clerk
- Wood, Lannette – Resignation – Eugene Ware Elementary Paraprofessional
LEAVE OF ABSENCE
- Weddle, Codee – Leave of Absence – Winfield Scott Paraprofessional
Classified Recommendations for the 2023-24 school year:
- Hensley, Charlie – Transportation Director
- Pryor, Kyra – Eugene Ware Elementary Paraprofessional
Goals & Evaluation Schedule for Superintendent Destry Brown