Members of the USD 234 Board of Education met on Monday, February 10, at the Board of Education office for their regular monthly meeting.
President David Stewart opened the meeting. The board approved the official agenda. The board also approved the consent agenda as follows:
- Bills and Claims
- Payroll – January 17, 2020 – $1,371,497.09
- Financial Report
- Bond Proceeds Reconciliation
- Activity Fund Accounts
- Fundraising Project – HS Debate and Forensics
Stephanie George, KNEA President, presented a report. Administrators from each building shared information with board members.
Superintendent Ted Hessong reported on BOLD training, Recruit and Hire, PSU Teacher Interview Day on February 19, Stop School Violence grant, accreditation visit, and Crisis Go.
Gina Shelton, Business Manager, discussed health insurance, the health stipend, the KSDE audit, and the roof project that will begin at middle school.
Board members approved the following items:
- Allowance of proposals for refinancing of the bond
- Roof payment
- Resolution to establish election of school board officers
Board members shared comments and then went into executive session to discuss personnel matters for nonelected personnel and returned to open meeting. The board approved the following employment matters:
- Retirement of Beverly Cummins, Eugene Ware paraprofessional, effective May 18, 2020
- Resignation of Shawn LaSota, high school English teacher, effective at the end of the 2019-20 school year
- Resignation of Brooke LaSota, Eugene Ware paraprofessional, effective at the end of the 2019-20 school year
- Transfer of Andrea Heckman, preschool long-term substitute teacher, to a licensed teacher at New Generation for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year
- Leave of absence request from Billie Young, high school kitchen manager
- Transfer of Cheryl Marsh, high school ticket clerk, to interim high school kitchen manager and transfer of Brenda Hathaway, high school cook, to high school interim ticket clerk for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year
- Adjustment in the work agreement for Moriah Dillow, Winfield Scott paraprofessional, from a 6-hour day to a 7.5-hour day for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year
- Addition of the following positions for the 2020-21 school year:
High School Family and Consumer Science Teacher
Middle School 7th and 8th grade English/Language Arts/Social Studies Teacher
Eugene Ware Assistant Principal
Director of Academics
The board adjourned.