The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a Federally funded program that helps eligible households pay a portion of their home energy costs by providing a one-time per year benefit.
Locally, at Community Christian Church, January 16th from 10 a.m. -2 p.m. Evergy will have a representative onsite to help answer questions and assist people in signing up for this program.
The 2020 LIEAP application period is from Thursday, January 2, 2020, through Tuesday, March 31, 2020. Applications must be received prior to 5:00 PM, March 31, 2020.
- Print application available December 16, 2019.
- Online application available January 2, 2020.
The following summary describes basic LIEAP eligibility provisions. Additional information may be obtained by calling 1-800-432-0043.
In order to qualify, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- An adult living at the address must be personally responsible for paying the heating costs incurred at the current residence, payable either to the landlord or the fuel vendor.
- Applicants must demonstrate a recent history of payments toward purchase of the primary heating energy.
The combined gross income (before deductions) of all persons living at the address may not exceed 130% of the federal poverty level according to the guidelines listed below:
2020 Income Eligibility Guidelines
|Persons Living at the Address||Maximum Gross Monthly Income|
|+1 $479.00 for each additional person|
Benefit levels vary according to the following factors:
- Household income
- Number of persons living at the address
- Type of dwelling
- Type of heating fuel