A local business was recognized during the recent ceremony by The Kansas Department of Commerce held in Wichita on Oct. 12.
To The Stars: Kansas Businesses Awards is an annual awards program that recognizes businesses across the state for the valuable contributions they make to the Kansas economy and to the well-being of their communities, according to https://www.kansascommerce.gov/kansasbusinessawards/.
Fort Scott Broadcasting Co. Inc was recognized as the Southeast Kansas Regional Winner in Retail and Service. Tim and Deb McKenney are the owners of the business.
“Deb submitted the information,” Tim McKenney said. “It was really just a statement about the station’s 70th birthday under the same family ownership and management coming up next year. She mentioned some of our programs we air regularly such as the city, county, and school talk shows to keep folks in tune with current happenings in the area.”
“The award was for 69 years of community service to our community,” Deb said.
The categories were:
- AgriBusiness – companies that stand out in the agribusiness industry – including agricultural production, products and services, and agri-tourism
- Apprenticeship Champions and Partners – companies and other entities that excel providing registered apprenticeship programs in Kansas
- Business Innovation – companies from any sector incorporating innovative technologies in their business
- Healthcare/Nonprofit – noteworthy services provided by either healthcare facilities or nonprofit organizations
- Manufacturing/Distribution – outstanding achievement for companies large and small involved in manufacturing and distribution
- Non-Traditional Talent Pools – companies that have gone above and beyond to hire those with prior involvement in the justice system, youth, seniors or individuals with disabilities
- Retail/Service – exceptional performance by businesses selling goods, products and/or services
- Under 30 Entrepreneurs – young entrepreneurs achieving business success under the age of 30
- Welcome Back – entrepreneurs and businesspeople who once left Kansas but have returned to make their mark in the Sunflower State.
Businesses and individuals from across the state were honored for their outstanding contributions to Kansas communities and the state’s economy at the ceremony, according to a press release.
Governor Laura Kelly announced at the ceremony that Atwood-based SurePoint Ag Systems has won the 2023 Governor’s Award of Excellence and Tank Connection in Parsons earned the Governor’s Exporter of the Year Award, according to the press release.
A record 297 businesses, organizations and individuals were nominated in nine categories for this year’s To the Stars: Kansas Business Awards, according to the release. Nominees were reviewed and scored for various criteria such as business expansion, employee recruitment and retention practices, training and educational programs, capital investments, and support of local community events. A total of 245 Merit Awards and 43 Regional Awards were presented at the event. Additionally, one nominee in each category was designated a Statewide Winner, making them finalists for the Governor’s Award of Excellence.
To view the list of award winners: https://www.kansascommerce.gov/kansasbusinessawards/#h-merit-award-winners
In the regional award winners division for retail/ service across the state, the winners were:
From the Southeast section of the state, the regional winner was Fort Scott Broadcasting All Hit 103.9 fm, 98.3 fm, and 1600 am.
Shores Napa Auto Parts
Lumber House True Value
Country at Heart
Jetmore Veterinary Service