Bourbon County Inter-Agency Coalition
General Membership Meeting Minutes
June 1, 2022
- Welcome: Eleven members representing nine agencies attended. Billie Jo noted the following greetings from those unable to attend in person:
- Michelle Stevenson, Fort Scott Early Childhood Program, has openings for the new grant year for families with children prenatal through age 6.
- Christine Abbott, Youth Career Advisor for SEKWorks, will be working in Independence on Wednesdays while they hire and orient a new Career Advisor for that area.
- Sandra Haggard, RSVP, did not have anything new to report but was unable to attend due to the weather.
- Jackie Sellers, Senior Citizens, reported that she has Farmers’ Market vouchers available for those who qualify. She also wanted members to be aware that the transportation service will run until 9:00 p.m. during Good ‘Ol Days. Due to the rise in cost for gasoline, taxi prices have been increased to $6.00; senior citizens and low income price is $5.00.
- Member Introductions and Announcements:
- Allen Schellack, Compassionate Ministries and Salvation Army, reviewed all the services that are available through his program. He also noted that the fan distribution funded by Evergy and managed by Salvation Army is now in progress.
- Holly Fritter, SEK Multi-County Health Department, reminded members of the Community Baby Shower to be held at Buck Run Community Center, June 23, from 10a.m. until noon.
- Shelly Kelley, SEK Mental Health, was welcomed as a first-time attendee.
- Lisa and Erin Thurston, Bourbon County Angels, also first-time attendees, gave a quick synopsis of their services. They are located at 111 West Third Street. Agency hours are 12:00 – 6:00 p.m. on Wednesdays and 8:00 a.m. until noon on Saturdays. They can be reached through the Facebook page or 620-644-8291. They would welcome volunteers.
- Lisa Robertson, CHC COPE (Community Organization to Promote Equity), noted that CHC is looking for drivers for their transportation program.
- Patty Simpson shared that all 190 units in the Fort Scott Housing Authority are currently full; she does maintain waiting lists.
- Elizabeth Schafer, CASA, noted they are still in need of volunteers.
- Program: April Jackson: Narcan Training. Due to unforeseen circumstances, April was not able to attend; we will plan this program for a later date.
- Open Forum:
- Billie Jo announced that the Community Christian Church will serve the Monday Feeding Families meals beginning June 6 and serve through August 29. There will, however, be no meal served on July 4.
- Billie Jo also shared that the Coalition Board had approved 27 family passes to the Fort Scott Aquatic Center.
- Elizabeth and Billie Jo informed members that the Next Steps program has been dissolved due to Covid and the lack of participants willing to commit to the class requirements.
- Adjournment: Next General Membership meeting will be August 3, 2022, at 1:00 p.m.