Fort Scott Community College is offering the Kansas Promise Scholarship (HB 2064), part of a $10 million program passed by the Kansas Legislature and signed by Governor Kelly in April 2021. The Kansas Promise Service Scholarship was created during the 2021 Kansas Legislative Session to assist students attending Kansas community colleges, technical colleges, Washburn Institute of Technology and certain private postsecondary educational institutions and enrolled in specified programs of study, generally in the fields of (1) information technology and security, (2) mental and physical health care, (3) advanced manufacturing and building trades, or (4) early childhood education and development. This scholarship may be used toward tuition, required fees, books and required program materials (KBOR, 2021).
“The Kansas Promise Act is an incredible opportunity for students seeking certificates or degrees in technical training, nursing, allied health, and other fields. The scholarship will pay for the skilled training needed for Kansas jobs with good wages. We are excited to participate in the Kansas Promise Act program at FSCC and our admissions office can assist you with the application process,” says Alysia Johnston, FSCC President.
The Kansas Promise Scholarship is a last dollar scholarship and assists with costs that institutional or grant scholarships are unable to cover. Recipients must meet all qualifications listed below and complete the application process to be eligible for this opportunity.
- Be a Kansas resident, AND
- Have graduated from a Kansas high school within the preceding 12 months or have received a GED or other high school equivalency credential within the preceding 12 months, OR
- Be 21 years of age or older and a Kansas resident for the preceding three consecutive years, OR
- Be a dependent child of a military service member who is stationed in another state and who, within the preceding 12 months, graduated from an out-of-state high school or obtained a GED or other high school equivalency credential.
FSCC programs that qualify for this opportunity are as follows:
- Associate in Arts or Science
- Computer Science
- Elementary Education
- Associate in Applied Science
- Construction Trades
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Heating, Air Conditioning, & Refrigeration (HVAC)
- Home Health Aid
- Agriculture Technology
- John Deere Technician
- Medication Aid (CMA)
- Nursing Aid (CNA)
For more information, please visit the FSCC website at fortscott.edu/KansasPromise or contact the Admissions Office at 620.223.2700 ext. 3510 or firstname.lastname@example.org.