Monday, April 10, 2023
Members of the USD 234 Board of Education met at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, April 10, 2023, for their regular monthly meeting at the board office.
President Danny Brown opened the meeting.
The board approved the official agenda and the consent agenda as follows:
- Board Minutes from the 03-06-23 regular board meeting and 03-27-23 special board meeting
- Financials-Cash Flow Report
- Check Register
- Payroll – March 9, 2023 – $1,571,728.00
- Activity Fund accounts
- Negotiations Training
- LEA Assurances
- Point of Interest: Board Meeting on May 8th will be at the normal time of 5:30 pm. The Employee Recognition Reception will be held on May 17, 2023, starting at 1:00 pm.
Nick Johnson, Fort Scott Preschool Center Principal, introduced FSPC students Solloman Davis, Ryker Felt, Ronin Flanner, Maizie Fiegener, and Sheridan Stephan. They were joined by FSPC teachers Andrea Heckman, Teresa Hurd, and Megan Webb. The teachers and students did an exercise to teach the board how to “Wake Up Their Brain.”
Classified Tiger Team Members – Superintendent Destry Brown recognized Charlotte Thompson and Laurie Bollinger as the Classified Tiger Team Members of the Month.
- Thompson is a paraprofessional over at the Fort Scott Preschool Center. She has worked 7 years with the District but has been at FSPC for another 38 years for a total of 45 years working with our preschool kids. Charlotte pitches in to help with whatever is needed.
- Bollinger is a paraprofessional over at Winfield Scott Elementary. She has worked in the District for 30 years as a paraprofessional helping our kids. She is one of those paras that does all kinds of jobs and is an example of the excellence in our classified staff that make our schools work.
Licensed Tiger Team Member – Superintendent Destry Brown recognized Brenda Hill as the Licensed Tiger Team Member of the Month.
- Hill is a 5th grade teacher at Eugene Ware Elementary. Mrs. Hill has an awesome classroom where the kids are always doing something and are engaged. She hosted a “Book Tasting” event that the students really enjoyed. Brenda is the epitome of excellence in teaching in the District. Mrs. Hill has taught for the district for 31 years.
Board Members shared comments.
Superintendent Destry Brown invited the board to the Employee Recognition Reception that will be held on May 17th at Fort Scott High School.
Assistant Superintendent Dalaina Smith updated the board on state assessments and work being done on essential standards.
Gina Shelton, Finance Director, noted the June 1 filing deadline for board elections, premium pay, ESSER III plan approval, and the plan to bring in new staff over the summer for orientation.
Superintendent Brown updated the board on expansion of preschool options. The board then directed Superintendent Brown to explore options outside of Legacy Health. The cost to relocate to Legacy Health had become cost prohibitive. These options might include mobile units to be stationed at the existing preschool location.
The board approved the following items:
- FSHS Tennis Court resurfacing to Hellas Construction in the amount of $37,400.00
- Resolution 22-13 to enter into a lease purchase transaction for energy conservation improvements
- KASB Membership & Legal Assistance Fund for 2023-24
- Payment to Meridian Roofing in the amount of $90,990.00
- Science Textbook purchase from McGraw Hill in the amount of $65,705.07 for grades 3-5 and 6-8
- Contract for Occupational Therapy Services with Outreach Occupational Therapy LLC
- Premium Pay Rates for the 2022-23 and 2023-24
- Approval of Personnel Report (following)
Additionally, Superintendent Brown noted that letters were exchanged with Fort Scott KNEA and the District regarding negotiations.
The board went into an executive session for negotiation and personnel matters.
Vice-President Kellye Barrows adjourned the meeting.
PERSONNEL REPORT – APPROVED EMPLOYMENT
April 10, 2023
- Carnes, Susan – Retirement – Preschool Speech Paraprofessional at the end of the 2022-23 school year
- Edwards, Sharonda – Resignation – Winfield Scott Paraprofessional effective 03-31-23
- Marino, Margaret – Resignation – Winfield Scott Elementary Special Education Teacher at the end of the 2022-23 school year
- Ruddick, Chad – Resignation – Fort Scott High School English Teacher at the end of the 2022-23 school year
- Tinsley, Jeff – Retirement – Maintenance on July 31, 2023
- Brown, Jodi – Speech Language Pathologist, half-time, for the 2023-24 school year
- Davenport, Annyssa – Eugene Ware Elementary Special Education Teacher for the 2023-24 school year
- Garzone, Chris – Winfield Scott Assistant Principal for the 2023-24 school year
- Hall, Kathi – FSMS Summer Conditioning for the 2023-24 school year
- Harper, Angel – Transfer from Eugene Ware Elementary to New Generation Paraprofessional for the 2022-23 school year
- Herring, Sean – Eugene Ware Elementary Kitchen Manager for the 2023-24 school year
- Mead, Jenice – FSMS 6th Grade Math Teacher for the 2023-24 school year
- Miles, Lacey – FSHS Paraprofessional for the 2023-24 school year
- Motley, Aubrionna – Winfield Scott Elementary Paraprofessional for the 2023-24 school year
- Pitts, Jaxon – District Maintenance effective April 24, 2023
- Popejoy, Curt – FSHS Special Education Teacher for the 2023-24 school year
- Shoemaker, Billi Jo – Transfer from Eugene Ware Interventionist to Winfield Scott Special Education Teacher for the 2023-24 school year
- Travis, Hayden – Transfer from Winfield Scott Second Grade Teacher to Eugene Ware Art Teacher for the 2023-24 school year
- Woellhof, Beckie – Eugene Ware Fourth Grade Teacher for the 2023-24 school year
- Reemployment of Certified and Licensed Staff for the 2023-24 school year