Ashley Shelton was selected for the county clerk position at the Bourbon County Republican Party Convention on Sept. 9.
“I have worked in the Bourbon County Clerk’s Office since June of 2020,” Shelton said.
Shelton graduated high school at Yates Center and moved to Bourbon County in 2002 to attend Fort Scott Community College.
She and her husband Scott and have two boys ages 10 and 3.
“I have learned a lot from Kendell (Mason, the current clerk) during my time in her office and I feel that I could fulfill the duties of the county clerk position although I know I have big shoes to fill and a lot to learn,” Shelton said.
“Since I am deputy-clerk I will be acting clerk as of Sept. 14, until I receive my appointment from the state,” she said.
Shelton replaces Kendell Mason who resigned after nine years as county clerk. Mason’s last day is Sept. 13.
“The Republican Party notifies (the governor) who they selected and the governor will send a letter appointing her to that position,” Mason said.
“She will serve until November 2022, when there will be an election,” she said.
The Bourbon County Clerk duties, taken from the county website are:
- Serves as Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners; attends Commission meetings; prepares and posts agendas and keeps meeting minutes; maintains proceedings of Commission meetings, including all contracts and agreements entered into by the County.
- Prepares annual budgets for most townships and fire districts and all cemeteries, watersheds, and light districts in the County.
- Receives and compiles all budgets submitted by County entities, cities, townships, the community college, school districts, and all special districts.
- Compiles, calculates, and prepares tax levies.
- Prepares real estate, personal property, and state assessed tax roll, including special assessments, and certifies to County Treasurer.
- Accumulates and files a bonded indebtedness report for all taxing entities in the County.
- Carries out all elections and certifies to the Secretary of State; maintains voter database; accepts filings for public office; keeps financial statements of expenses from the county, city, school district candidates.
- Provides Accounts Payable and Payroll functions for all County departments; receives all claims filed against the County.
- Provides checks and balances to property transfers, motor vehicle collections, and Treasurer’s daily ledger activities.
- Serves as the County Freedom of Information Officer.
- Maintains fixed asset inventory for the County.
- Provides assistance to County residents in preparing Homestead Property Tax Refund and Food Sales Tax Applications for the Kansas Department of Revenue.
- Issues Cereal Malt Beverage Licenses to establishments outside the city limits and issues Firework Permits to stands throughout the County for 4th of July week.
- Issues Kansas Wildlife and Park permits.