Bob Jackson is a Democrat running for Sheriff in the upcoming election. Here are a few interview questions with his answers.
1. Please tell readers a little bit about yourself and your background.
I am a native of Fort Scott and have chosen to live and make my career here. I have four children, three sons, one daughter and one step-son. I have approximately 30 years of law enforcement experience all which I have served here in this community. My career started with the Fort Scott Police Department and after four short months of retiring from the Police Dept, I hired on with the Bourbon County Sheriff Department where I am currently serving as a road Deputy.
2. Why are you running for office?
There are numerous changes the Sheriff Office needs in order to become an effective agency for our community. I understand the changes that need to be made and I am willing to make those changes. I care about our community and my desire is to serve this community to the best of my ability.
3. What do you feel is the single most important issue facing the county?
My personal feeling is that crime is the single most important issue that the county faces. As economic times get harder, the crime rate goes up
4. Why do you think you are a better choice for voters than the incumbent? (If you are the incumbent, why do you think you are a better choice than others who are running?)
First- Sheriff Gray has failed to act on his first campaign promises and he will continue to do so if re-elected. Second- He lost interest in being the Sheriff and has indicated such by neglecting the Sheriff Department and shows no loyalty to his staff. Thirdly- His lack of commitment to this community has been shown by having no residential ties and has placed himself on the job market and has recently done so prior to this election campaign.
5. What is the single most important skill you would bring to the office?
My 30 years of law enforcement experience and my heart-desire to serve and give back to this community.
6. If elected, what would your top priority be during your first 90 days?
Adding more manpower- Currently we do not have the adequate number of road deputies to serve this community effectively. Equipment- our equipment is out dated, of the cheapest grade, and fails to work most of the time. Inadequate equipment jeopardizes the lives of our deputies and the public.
7. Health insurance is one of the fastest growing expenses the county is facing. What are some ways you’d recommend the county deal with this issue?
I agree that health insurance is a growing expense our county is facing. However, my knowledge in this area is limited for a proper recommendation. I realize as Sheriff this is something I will need to be familiar with and gain better understanding.