Fort Scott Mayor Josh Jones gave a summary of last night’s budget work session.
“The city presented a proposed budget that includes
1. 3% Raise to employees,
2. 2% reduction in mill levy,
3. $500k improvements to Lake Fort Scott (which will come from the sale of some lake property the city has),
4. $800k added next year for streets (this is from sales tax that was voted on in 2021 but won’t see full funding till 2022),
5. Looked at giving employees potential memberships or reduce rate memberships to city-owned amenities,
6. Looked at giving a bonus to all Public Safety employees,
7. Built-in raises for some areas that had $9 starting wages to $13 to be more competitive in getting more employees and help retention of employees.
“Hopefully this budget will be approved at one of our September meetings,” Jones said.