During their weekend competition, the Fort Scott High School debate team placed first at Pittsburg Colgan, facing each other as opponents in the final rounds.
“We were the last four undefeated in the tourney going into round 5,” coach Amber Toth said of the event end results. “So we were going to have to debate ourselves.”
Instead, Toth said the students decided to choose the winners based upon preliminary events and the flip of a coin in order not to debate against each other.
With that method, the results were as follows:
- Dalton Womeldorff and Chloe Studyvin took first with a 5-0 record and 20 speaks.
- Isabella Provence and Joe Adams took second with a 5-0 record and 21 speaks.
- Rebekah Sweyko and Darby Toth took third with a 4-1 record and 18 speaks.
- Seth Cross and Zach Humble took 4th with a 4-1 recordand 21 speaks.
- Georgia Loyd Breana Mooney took 7th with a 3-2 record.
- Ashtyn Elizabeth Dowell and Madi Toth took first with a 5-0 record and 17 speaks.
- Emma Faith Humble and Caleb Hopkins took second with a 5-0 record and 18 speaks.
- Brooklyn Lyons and Elizabeth Ngatia took third with 4-1 record and 17 speaks
- Addie Smith and Jonie Antonio took 6th with a 3-2 record and 24 speaks.
- Conner Parker and Kaden Kiwan walked away with wins and amazing speaker points.
Tayton Majors and Tristan Watkins also participated in the weekend tournament as judges.