During the weekly Chamber Coffee Thursday morning, hosted by the Five Corners Mini Mart, representatives from local businesses and organizations shared a series of events occurring in Fort Scott in upcoming weeks while Five Corners gave an update on their services.
Owner and proprietor Darcy Smith said her family opened the gas station and convenience store located near the corner of Highway 69 and 12th Street in 2006 and have been developing their business ever since, including opening the Libation Station next door in 2010.
In just recent weeks, Smith said they made improvements to their gas pumps so it flowed better. The store also provides meals throughout the day, such as breakfast made fresh each morning and barbecue such as pulled pork, brisket and ribs prepared for later hours of the day.
“If you haven’t tried our barbecue, you really should,” Smith said, adding that they also have a loyalty program for drinks, which allows the eighth purchased to be free.
Events happening around town in the upcoming weeks include:
- The Fort Scott National Historic Site will host a brown-bag lunch event Friday which will include a presentation from an author.
- The Knights of Columbus will host a fish fry Friday evenings, 5-7 p.m., during Lent at the Kennedy Gym. The fried catfish, side dishes and desserts can be purchased for a freewill offering.
- Friday evening, Nate’s Place will host a fundraiser meal of enchiladas to support two charities, Care to Share and the Neonatal Intensive-Care Unit.
- Gunn Park will host the third annual Disc Golf Ice Bowl Saturday morning, with registration beginning at shelter house #3 at 8 a.m. and tee off at 10 a.m. All proceeds from the $20 registration fees will go towards the Beacon. The first 20 participants or visitors will receive a free disc.
- Mercy Hospital is again partnering with Country Place Senior Living to offer another Virtual Dementia Tour Thursday, Feb. 18. Appointments should be made in advance.
- Fort Scott Community College will host a Red Cross blood drive, Feb. 18-19. The drive will be held from 1-7 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday.
- The rotary will host the annual Dancing with our Stars event Feb. 20, at 7 p.m.
- On Thursday, Feb. 25, Mercy Hospital will host a Go Red for Women luncheon, which will include a speaker on the topic of women and heart disease.
- On March 5, Kansas residents will have the opportunity to participate in a caucus for the presidential nominees.
- Tri-Valley Developmental Services continues to sell tickets for their June 24th drawing for a 2016 Ford F-150 Platinum Edition. About 1,000 tickets have already been purchased with 2,000 remaining. Tickets can be bought for $50 each or $350 for eight. Money raised will go towards homes they construct.
- Those interested in participating in the Bourbon County Fair this summer, Jul 16-23, are encouraged to begin considering what contests they will participate in or what they might exhibit. New and returning contests include making table runners, baling, scarecrows and food items.