Alicia Hansen is the new Fort Scott Middle School Social Studies teacher.
Name: Alicia Hansen
Title of position: 8th Grade Social Studies
• Associates of Science from Fort Scott Community College
• Bachelors in History/Government from Pitt State
• Working on my Masters in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Four years in Gardner-
• Three years as an English as a Second Language teacher for 5th and 8th grade
• One year as a 7th grade Social Studies
Just got engaged! My two dogs, five cats (promise I’m not a crazy cat lady…), a “micro” pig, and five horses
Why did you choose education as a career?
I grew up participating in 4-H, and as I got older, my leadership projects started to revolve around how to help the younger kids in the club. I really enjoyed working with the kids, and have always been a history nerd, so I decided to combine the two into one and became a history teacher!
What is the first on your list of priorities for the position?
My main priority in the classroom is building positive relationships with the kids. I want them to know that there is at least one person in their life that truly cares about them and is in their corner whenever they need someone. Then comes The Declaration of Independence and the Civil War 😉